Sunday, December 20, 2009

Gingerbread Creations!

Well it was time for the annual Jensen Family Gingerbread making contest! We decided to invite my family this year. We always compete girls about boys, but this year we changed the rules. Each team was allowed to brainstorm for up to 30 minutes while we ate pizza then they were given only one hour to create. This was a much needed time regulation and a tradition we will be keeping. It had gotten a little out of control.

The girls gingerbread creation was a Lake Powell theme. The detail was great! It had the slide coming off the back of the house boat, towel hanging over the edge, deck chairs and more. In the water was a ski boat with a skier dodging trees, kids in tubes and swimming, frog land, sand castle, and last but not least the boy scout challenge. That is the big mountain with the flag on top. Every year the boys (I mean men) take all the kids on a very crazy adventure while all he mom's and grandparents sit fretting on the boat praying the kids will all survive.

The boys gingerbread creation was (I like how Kirstin said it) a tribute to the armed forces. That was much more tasteful then what I would have said. The had a large tank with Santa standing on top with what yes a machine gun in hand. They had an American flag, a little bunker, troops and it even lit up with candles flaming for guns. Sitting in a pile of red was Osama. Santa had given the gift of a peaceful Christmas. It was most definitely a boys house.

1st Place went to the girls. I have to say that I was very impressed with both, but the boys should maybe have taken into account that Santa with a machine gun and me being the judge was probably not the best combination for a win. I like Merry Christmas' where everyone is happy, smiling and alive.
When we finished the houses Halle wanted a special one so Jacob made this aquarium for her to take home.

After that we sat while Grandpa read us a Christmas Story. I love Christmas and everything that comes with it. Let the season begin...

2 comments:

Kimber said...

Yayayay! So glad you're blogging again! It was fun to see you just a few weeks ago!

robin bloomfield said...

Hi Lisa and Kib,
It is Robin Bloomfield here. We moved to Alpine UT about 4 1/2 years ago. I don't know if you remember but we saw you guys at stadium of Fire in 2006 a year after we moved here. today we returned from a quick trip back to AZ and I saw Heidi Porter. She told me about Brady. I am so sad and have thought about him since she told me. Tara and Ben also remember Brady. It seems only a blink ago that he was running up and down the BB court with Andrew and we were doing pre-school. I loved both Brady and Jacob. And your whole family really! you guys were a lot of fun, and treated my kids so nice and made life happy. It seems from reading your blog that you're still doing that. If I had known about Brady we would have come to his service. YOU did not mention anything about him when we saw you several years ago. Anyway this is very late but I want to share my love to you all and sorrow for the loss of that energetic and sweet boy Brady. We have 5 grandchildren now. Ben has 3 boys and 1 girl and Tara has 1 newborn boy. Katie and Jennifer will both be married on June 19. Katie is an RN worked at Primary's but now in the ER at UVRMC Jennifer is just graduating from BYU nursing. We would love to see you and talk to you guys. e-mail me if you can. Rich sends his condolences and love also.
Bloomfields.